mercredi 20 octobre 2010

ZINC AS A TRAITOR

By Tikum Mbah Azonga

I was born under a zinc roof
And raised under a zinc roof
The zinc roof is all I knew in my childhood
I rubbed shoulders with it daily
I enjoyed listening to it as it withstood torrential rain
But I also saw it rust and change colours
Like the chameleon.

Yet I didn`t know
Lots of other things about it
I didn`t know
It had a chemical formula: Zn
Or that zinc came from magnesium limestone
And was a sulphuret
I didn`t know about the ore being roasted
Blended with charcoal and then
Transformed into vapour, condensed and fused together.

I didn`t know all of that
Today when I return to my father`s compound
I hate to look zinc in the face
Why should I?
After all it betrayed me
It kept knowledge away from me
It hid it from me deliberately.

Copyright 2010

Aucun commentaire: